What is a Portable Appliance?
- Electrical items that are connected to the mains supply by a plug. This includes 110v, 240v and 415v equipment. All moveable/stationary equipment over 18kg requires testing, not just ‘portable appliances’.
Why are you required to have your appliances tested?
- Portable appliance testing (PAT Testers) has become a fundamental requirement for maintaining electrical safety in the workplace.
- The Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) Memorandum of Guidance identifies that an adequate system of preventative electrical maintenance can provide a means of complying with the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 (EAWR).
- Evidence shows that a large number of the dangers, deaths and injuries caused by misused or faulty electrical equipment can be prevented when proper electrical checking, inspection and safety testing procedures are in place.
- In this way‚ planned and proactive portable appliance testing programmes help to detect potential safety problems with electrical appliances before they occur.
Accidental electrocution could cost you your business.